Saturday, October 23, 2010

Whomever Speaks First, Loses

Two weeks after my initial visit with Dr. X, I return for my second appointment.

The first thing he asks me is "Did you make an appointment with the therapist?" No "How are you?" or "How's your focus?".

"Well, here's the thing." I say, and then go into my well rehearsed speech about how I've been going on too many doctor's appointments in the last fifteen years, between having babies, and cancer, and two broken feet, and I just can't keep leaving work.

After I finish my story, Dr. X doesn't say a word. He just stares at me. So I just stare right back. I've seen this scene before on TV, and I know whomever speaks first loses. Finally, he wears me out and I realize he's better at this than I am. Dr. X obviously isn't playing about the stupid therapist.

"Fine, I'll go see the stupid therapist." I say like I'm his child. It occurs to me how different male doctors are than female doctors, and that's why all my other doctors are women.

With that, Dr. X hands me a card and says "see you in three weeks" and abruptly dismisses me. A female doctor would never do this.

Originally, I had called to make an appointment with a woman doctor, but she wasn't taking new patients, so I was referred to her partner. That's how I ended up with Dr. X. The only reason I stay is because he is the only one I can find besides her that specializes in adult attention deficit. Dr. X knows he has the power.

Later that week, like a dutiful daughter, I make yet another doctors appointment. This one is with the therapist that Dr. X referred me too. When I call, they assure me that they take my insurance.

On the appointed day, I arrive, begrudgingly, at the huge Victorian house (this, at least, makes me happy) that is the office of Therapist #1. I go to the receptionists window, sign in, and she hands me a mountain of paperwork. I've been filling out paperwork like this for years, and it tends to make me very, very cranky.

She asks for my insurance card, looks at it with disdain, and says "I'm sorry, but Therapist #1 doesn't accept this insurance."

Surely, this is an omen. As I almost make my getaway, thank you and good bye, the receptionist stops me. She has an idea.

No comments: