Sunday, July 24, 2011

Amy Winehouse and the Twenty Seven Club

When I mentioned to RWC that Amy Winehouse had died, at the tender age of 27, the first thing he said was "Oh, she's joined the 27 Club."

"The 27 Club?" I ask

"Yes." RWC says, "It's a group of famous musicians who died under suspicious circumstances. The phrase "27 Club" was coined in reference to Jimi Hendrix, Brian Jones, Janis Joplin, Kurt Cobain, and Jim Morrison, all dead at 27. "

"An auspicious membership indeed." I reply

"Well", apparently 27 is some kind of cut off for musicians.  If you make it to 28, you're good to go.  Take Keith Richards for instance." he laughs.

Below is a video of Amy singing my favorite song "Tears Dry on Their Own" live.  The video was made in 2007, and the life is still in her eye's.  It's the way I want to remember her.  Full of piss and vigor.  RIP sweet Amy Winehouse.

No comments: