Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Kids from the Old Neighborhood

Tami and I grew up in a neighborhood named Roselawn, where we attended Roselawn Elementary. As I mentioned in an earlier post, we met on the first day of kindergarten and enjoyed many a snack time together. It's where I got my very first brain freeze, drinking the milk from the red and white mini carton too quick, and thought my eyes were gonna pop out of my head like that slick wolf's cartoon character in the in the zoot suit does whenever he see's a hot bitch. Ahhh, those were the glory days at Cincinnati Public, back when they still refrigerated the perishables.


Along the way, I met the group of friends that I'm still hanging out with 40 years later. After Tami, I met Traci, the third of my three T's. We would have met Traci in kindergarten, except for she was still home in diapers because she's two years younger than us.


Traci is the friend whose life has most paralleled mine as far as timing goes. We were lucky enough to have our children around the same time, and went through all that together. We once quit smoking at the same time without knowing the other was doing it. While Traci still doesn't smoke to this day, I started again after 12 years of not smoking. Sorry, I'm weak. So shoot me.


Anypuffpuff, after we met Traci, next came Jimmy. After Jimmy, we met Dean. After Dean, we met Patrick. After Patrick, we met Cathy. And that completed the core group we would travel through time with.


Jimmy, who moved to San Francisco years ago, was in town for Easter this year. Traci hosted a party for him at her house, and we were all there. So, I got to looking around the room

No comments: